All about us
John Henry Mummery came to Bexhill-on-Sea in 1906, and within 5 years had established himself as an upholsterer in the seaside town’s main shopping street.
John soon acquired the shop next door and following some alterations to the premises, in 1913 he began advertising his business at 50-52 Devonshire Road as “Upholsterer, House Furnisher and Funeral Director.”
By the late 1920s, John was joined by his son, John Pascoe Mummery, who eventually took over the running of the firm. By 1950, as “Cabinet Maker and Undertaker”, J P Mummery was able to acquire a separate premises at the rear of Devonshire Road, a site that had previously been bombed during the Second World War.
By 1969, John W Matthews was the Funeral Director at Mummery, eventually being succeeded by his son, Geoff. Under the Matthews family, the firm put all their attention into being Funeral Directors, and in 1976, relocated to a single storey unit at 31 Devonshire Road, where we remain to this day.
Due to the relocation to the main street, Mummery Funeral Directors became increasingly well regarded for its professional services to the community. Today we continue to serve the families of Bexhill-on-Sea.
“Our current team are proud of the 100 years of service we have provided to generations of families. We are honoured to continue that tradition and will continue helping families in their time of need for many years to come.”